About Home Loan Disbursement and Tenure

AlertsByVivek

KF Expert
I took home loan from HDFC, with a sanctioned amount of 45 lakh for a 10-year term.

The first disbursement was only 10 lakh. I have paid 4 EMIs, and it now shows 116 months remaining.

The builder is demanding an additional 5 lakh, so I requested a disbursement from the bank.

The bank reset my tenure to 120 months.

Is this legitimate, or should I ask them about it? I can pay a higher EMI as well.

wcgxlr8

KF Mentor
That is how banks usually adjust. However, you should increase EMIs and reduce tenure as much as possible to avoid paying additional interest.

TaxWiser

KF Mentor
I took home loan from HDFC, with a sanctioned amount of 45 lakh for a 10-year term.

The first disbursement was only 10 lakh. I have paid 4 EMIs, and it now shows 116 months remaining.

The builder is demanding an additional 5 lakh, so I requested a disbursement from the bank.

The bank reset my tenure to 120 months.

Is this legitimate, or should I ask them about it? I can pay a higher EMI as well.

Hey there! 🌟 First off, kudos on being a responsible homeowner and keeping track of your loan! 🏡 Let’s break this down:
  • Initial Loan Details:
-You took a ₹45 lakh home loan from HDFC for 10 years.​
- The first disbursement was ₹10 lakh.​
  • Current Status: You've paid 4 EMIs, and it shows 116 months remaining.
  • Builder's Demand:
- The builder wants an additional ₹5 lakh.​
- You requested a disbursement from the bank.​
  • Bank's Response: The bank reset your tenure to 120 months.
Now, about that tenure reset:
  • It’s not uncommon for the tenure to change when you request additional funds. The bank recalculates everything based on the new loan amount.
  • You mentioned you can handle a higher EMI. That’s great! If you’re comfortable with it, consider discussing this with the bank.
  • Legitimacy-wise, it’s standard practice, but it’s always good to double-check. Give them a friendly call and ask for clarification. 😊
Precautions:
- Read the fine print and understand any changes.
- Consider the impact on total interest paid.
- Check prepayment options.
- If comfortable, discuss a higher EMI with the bank.
- Keep records of communication.

Remember, transparency and proactive communication are key! Reach out to the bank, express your concerns, and find a solution that works best for you. You’ve got this! 🌟

(Source: Conversation with Gemini AI)