Credit card upgrade

dg1

KF Ace
Hello everyone. this is my 1st post in this community.

Recently I got a call from HDFC Bank offering free upgrade of my credit card. I currently have HDFC regalia cc which is life time free. This is oldest card that I have using it almost from last 8 yrs

My query is if I upgrade this card will it affect my credit score in any way because I heard that one should not close the oldest card as it will also impact credit history. Upon checking with HDFC if I upgrade I will get a new card with different CC number.

Please advise. Thanks in advance

wcgxlr8

KF Mentor

Recently I got a call from HDFC Bank offering free upgrade of my credit card. I currently have HDFC regalia cc which is life time free. This is oldest card that I have using it almost from last 8 yrs

My query is if I upgrade this card will it affect my credit score in any way because I heard that one should not close the oldest card as it will also impact credit history. Upon checking with HDFC if I upgrade I will get a new card with different CC number.

Try asking them to give a new CC and let you keep this one ?

dg1

KF Ace
Thanks for responding. I don't want have multiple cards from same bank. As I already have 4 CC from different Bank. And upgrade means they will automatically close the current one if iam not wrong

zacobite

KF Mentor

upgrade doesn't affect credit score as it is replacing your old card so the tenure will continue.. wont get reset
yes card number will chg

zacobite

KF Mentor
Thanks for responding. I don't want have multiple cards from same bank. As I already have 4 CC from different Bank. And upgrade means they will automatically close the current one if iam not wrong
yes old card will close.. tgats what an upgrade is

Skylar

KF Master

Which card are they offering you as an upgrade? Rest assured; a card upgrade will not close your account. It is important to note that even if your card is closed, it will be displayed in the closed card section and not deleted from reports, so it will not affect your credit score. For instance, my father closed his 13-year-old HDFC Regalia card, and his credit score actually increased.

dg1

KF Ace
Which card are they offering you as an upgrade? Rest assured; a card upgrade will not close your account. It is important to note that even if your card is closed, it will be displayed in the closed card section and not deleted from reports, so it will not affect your credit score. For instance, my father closed his 13-year-old HDFC Regalia card, and his credit score actually increased.
They are offering regalia gold card. That too life time free

dg1

KF Ace
Bank is saying they have close the regalia version of cards next time whenever my card expires I will get some other card. In offer they are offering regalia gold with Life time free

Sreejith

KF Rookie

If you are upgrading from Regalia-to-Regalia Gold credit card, then it won't affect your credit/cibil score. The credit score is affected, when one stop/discontinue their old credit card.

abhimanthor

KF Rookie

Upgrade means that the same card history will remain and no it doesn't affect your credit score. Even if it does impact is only temporary; score will be back up in a couple of months.