Cyber crime

aajmera

KF Expert
Hi,

Can anyone share an instance of fraud happened in their life within bank, credit card or others.
Also what you did and what is status as if today.

My friend had transferred a certain amount close to 10,000INR to purchase a refurbished PlayStation online via olx. Unfortunately, the seller was a fraud and never reverted back once the amount was transferred. Despite his best efforts to report the entire incident to Cyber Crime, he wasn't able to recover any of it and the seller deleted the olx account. He said that the process was quite cumbersome and required to file a detailed complaint in a nearby police station with all the WA chats along with the contact of the seller. Interestingly, the seller was utilizing a fake GST contact and a business account on WhatsApp which looked quite legit as per my friend who was tricked in sending the amount. I wonder daily how many such people shall be facing a similar scam, NPCI and the Govt. must look into this and make more stringent laws pertaining to cyber crimes.

aajmera

KF Expert
Even I send a big amount to one fraudsters and within 24 hours I reported it to cyber cell and bank. I am very much worried what will happen

Another friend surprisingly even said that the 1930 contact which the police has given doesn't work most of the time which is a big red flag itself!

aajmera

KF Expert
Another friend surprisingly even said that the 1930 contact which the police has given doesn't work most of the time which is a big red flag itself!
I partly disagree at least in today's scenario. I tried calling it multiple times and it did work

I partly disagree at least in today's scenario. I tried calling it multiple times and it did work
Seems like an advancement or maybe due to elections they are more active, either which way it is good to know that the hotline is working now shall convey to my friend when we meet next!

Even I send a big amount to one fraudsters and within 24 hours I reported it to cyber cell and bank. I am very much worried what will happen
Don’t worry much, you can even file a complaint on the cyber crime portal and NPCI portal too, hope your issue gets resolved asap!

sshivam512

KF Rookie
I want to too share some sort of same experience that happened with me 2 years back. I was selling generator on olx and was getting cool response from the communities.. In between I got a call from one man who asked very little info about the generator and in just one min told that he is ready to purchase the generator at the listed price without doing any sort of bargaining.. I was too happy with the man as he claimed to be an army officer. Soon he told that he is ending some advance money that was a whooping ₹ 10000 without nay enquiry and told that to continue the process he first send 1 rs to my account through upi where I was asked to accept the payment.. I received the amount and soon afterwards he send me a further 10000 link which I clicked but after few steps it app asked to enter otp which hammered my mind.. I returned back and seemed into it and checked that the link was not for me accepting the payment but it was for sending the money... As I was having knowledge I was saved from being looted.. Many poor people would fall for the trap... Few things need to be kept in mind to prevent yourself from cyber crime are listed below:-
1] always use your sim in keypad mobiles in which otp is coming as keypad fones cannot be hacked.
2) email I'd which is distributed across banks use those for that purpose only.. Don't shayr it.
Hope it will helps.. Thanx