Getting car insurance as a Nepalese citizen/ foreigner. Is it possible?

bidaris

KF Rookie
Hello
I found your forum while looking for my query in the internet. I am very much hopeful that I will get a solution for my problem here, among the group of experts!

I am a Nepalese citizen, holding an Official passport of my country, presently working for my Doctorate Award here in India. I have taken an apartment and I have valid documents required for address proof including Police verification. I have a valid International Driver's Licence.

I wanted to get a used car for my daily commute while I am residing in India. Makes life so much easier as you must be knowing.
It was a walk in the park, I thought.
But turns out, RTO transfer for the vehicle wont be a problem, but getting a CAR INSURANCE is a different ball game! No agent was ready to do it. Reason being, you can not get a VEHICLE INSURANCE without an AADHAR CARD.

According to the FRIENDSHIP TREATY 1950, it is agreed between the Government of India and the Government of Nepal, that the citizen of either country can travel to the other country freely, and are free to purchase any property, run a business, and go about the daily life as if in their own country. That is why 20 percent of Nepalese population are presently living and working in India. The same reason why out of top 10 richest people of Nepal, 7 have Indian origins.

Both the Indian and Nepalese Government have made different provisions in their RULES BOOK to facilitate this provision. The problem is, very few private enterprises have read and included this provision in their SOP... So, we, as a common citizen, reach a dead end while trying to go about our daily life......purchase a PROPERTY, a SIM card even, etc etc....and here in my case a CAR INSURANCE. Its not because we don't have the LAW, its because we don't have the LAWS read and implemented properly.

My query to the forum is
1. Is there a way for an International citizen to get a vehicle in India and drive them?
2. Is there any Insurance policy that a Foreigner can get?
3. What are the provisions of getting Insurance policy for Nepalese citizen in India?
4. How should I proceed? The car deal is at the final phase, only thing stopping it is the INSURANCE issue.

I want to contribute to the Indian economy as a Nepalese while I benefit from your higher standards of Education system! (haha).... Please do give me a suggestion as to how to get a car insurance for my used car.

Cheers!

zacobite

KF Mentor
Hello
I found your forum while looking for my query in the internet. I am very much hopeful that I will get a solution for my problem here, among the group of experts!

I am a Nepalese citizen, holding an Official passport of my country, presently working for my Doctorate Award here in India. I have taken an apartment and I have valid documents required for address proof including Police verification. I have a valid International Driver's Licence.

I wanted to get a used car for my daily commute while I am residing in India. Makes life so much easier as you must be knowing.
It was a walk in the park, I thought.
But turns out, RTO transfer for the vehicle wont be a problem, but getting a CAR INSURANCE is a different ball game! No agent was ready to do it. Reason being, you can not get a VEHICLE INSURANCE without an AADHAR CARD.

According to the FRIENDSHIP TREATY 1950, it is agreed between the Government of India and the Government of Nepal, that the citizen of either country can travel to the other country freely, and are free to purchase any property, run a business, and go about the daily life as if in their own country. That is why 20 percent of Nepalese population are presently living and working in India. The same reason why out of top 10 richest people of Nepal, 7 have Indian origins.

Both the Indian and Nepalese Government have made different provisions in their RULES BOOK to facilitate this provision. The problem is, very few private enterprises have read and included this provision in their SOP... So, we, as a common citizen, reach a dead end while trying to go about our daily life......purchase a PROPERTY, a SIM card even, etc etc....and here in my case a CAR INSURANCE. Its not because we don't have the LAW, its because we don't have the LAWS read and implemented properly.

My query to the forum is
1. Is there a way for an International citizen to get a vehicle in India and drive them?
2. Is there any Insurance policy that a Foreigner can get?
3. What are the provisions of getting Insurance policy for Nepalese citizen in India?
4. How should I proceed? The car deal is at the final phase, only thing stopping it is the INSURANCE issue.

I want to contribute to the Indian economy as a Nepalese while I benefit from your higher standards of Education system! (haha).... Please do give me a suggestion as to how to get a car insurance for my used car.

Cheers!
contact the company directly.. KYC is mandatory now and to bypass that with a passport you need to spk to ins company and chk.. interesting to hear that the car transfer is happening as that also needs the ssme KYC