Health Insurance Major Scam

Hema Kulkarni

KF Mentor
Hi Guys, recently I took my mother to a hospital as she was puking uncontrollably. Moment they came to know that she is CGHS beneficiary they kept her overnight and next day prescribed a long list of tests.

We rushed to get all the tests done and got the reports, seeing the reports they told us that they'll have to perform an emergency appendectomy (i.e remove here appendix). I got scared but still had my doubts. I immediately got my family doctor involved. My family doctor saw all the reports and even he was confident that such a major surgery is not required.

Now I started doubting the hospitals intentions. So on that day itself we got her discharged and got a second opinion. The 2nd doctor confirmed that it was just a case of food poisoning. And the 1st hospital was ready to operate on her just to make some money.

Now my question is, did it all happen because she had a Health Insurance? Was this just a way for the Hospital to make some money from Insurance Company? I feel this big hospital are just there to earn big profits from people like us?

17ysaurabh

KF Mentor
Yes, some hospitals do that when they hear about Health Insurance. They ask for unnecessary tests and try to extract as much money as possible.
In your case, they went a bit extreme. It's unfortunate and disappointing.

PS. Always get a second or even a third opinion before going for any surgery.

Hema Kulkarni

KF Mentor
Yes, some hospitals do that when they hear about Health Insurance. They ask for unnecessary tests and try to extract as much money as possible.
In your case, they went a bit extreme. It's unfortunate and disappointing.

PS. Always get a second or even a third opinion before going for any surgery.
Yes, going forward it will be hard to trust any hospital