How many hard inquiries are considered safe?

1p2tv

KF Ace
I asked ChatGPT and it says only do a maximum of 2 hard inquiries per year but I see multiple people doing a hard inquiry every other month in here. So what exactly is the best practice?

I got my first credit card (Amazon Pay ICICI) a few weeks ago and my CIBIL score dropped from 770 to 755 (by 15 points) and therefore I am concerned as to what I should do.

A thing to note is that I tried to apply for the SBI Cashback Card but it didn't let me proceed after the input office address page. It just gave me "We experienced some problem in processing information you provided. Pls retry" again and again. Then next day when I tried to continue my application, it showed rejected. Although it did not do a hard inquiry into my CIBIL.

Currently I was thinking of applying for the Airtel Axis Bank Credit Card as it has some nice benefits and is one of the top credit cards right now. I wanted to ask if it is safe to apply for it right now (considering my credit score and that I just got a credit card a few weeks ago).

TaxWiser

KF Mentor
I asked ChatGPT and it says only do a maximum of 2 hard inquiries per year but I see multiple people doing a hard inquiry every other month in here. So what exactly is the best practice?

I got my first credit card (Amazon Pay ICICI) a few weeks ago and my CIBIL score dropped from 770 to 755 (by 15 points) and therefore I am concerned as to what I should do.

A thing to note is that I tried to apply for the SBI Cashback Card but it didn't let me proceed after the input office address page. It just gave me "We experienced some problem in processing information you provided. Pls retry" again and again. Then next day when I tried to continue my application, it showed rejected. Although it did not do a hard inquiry into my CIBIL.

Currently I was thinking of applying for the Airtel Axis Bank Credit Card as it has some nice benefits and is one of the top credit cards right now. I wanted to ask if it is safe to apply for it right now (considering my credit score and that I just got a credit card a few weeks ago).
Try considering this Thread 👇 regarding same topic on which many of the members including me shared our opinions.

Hope it clear all your doubts 🤗

Skylar

KF Master

If your credit history is over 5 years, the impact of new inquiries on your credit score is minimal.
In the last 8 months, I had 9 inquiries, resulting in a 1-point drop in CIBIL score for each enquiry and new accounts also led to a 1-point drop.
before my credit it history reached 5 years there use to be 2 points dip for every new enquiry.

Skylar

KF Master
1722242581805.png
Last 10 months score
1722242803214.png
for every enquiry and new account added it use to drop and use to recover in the same month.

1p2tv

KF Ace
If your credit history is over 5 years, the impact of new inquiries on your credit score is minimal.
In the last 8 months, I had 9 inquiries, resulting in a 1-point drop in CIBIL score for each enquiry and new accounts also led to a 1-point drop.
before my credit it history reached 5 years there use to be 2 points dip for every new enquiry.
Unfortunately my credit history is only around 9 months. What would you suggest for that?

hitirfan

KF Mentor
Unfortunately my credit history is only around 9 months. What would you suggest for that?
Use the CC for a month or two, keep utilization low. Once it gets reported to CIBIL, your CIBIL get up again. Then try for another card.

Skylar

KF Master
if you want to get new card get them there will be temporary drop with time it will recover.

if you want to play it safe apply for new cards once a year or once in 6 months till it crosses 5 years.

wcgxlr8

KF Mentor
+1, I’ve made 30+ enquiries in the last year according to CIBIL 😂, but my score hasn’t dropped , but I’m sure it will drop now due to the Amex card. In your case, I would suggest to use your existing card for 3-6 months, add another one after that only. If you’re not bothered about short term CIBIL score drop and are offered some cards by banks, then go for it.