Need Help Choosing the Best Credit Card for my Specific Use Case!

Yash Koyande

KF Rookie
Hi Everyone,

I'm excited to share that I recently landed my first job and opened a salary account with HDFC Bank. My gross monthly income before tax is around ₹1,05,000. Since I'm a beginner in the world of credit cards, I could really use some advice from those of you with experience in this area!

Currently, I'm staying with my relatives, but I'll soon be moving into a rented apartment with my mom. I expect to spend a fair amount on electronics, furniture, and other essentials. I’ve been hearing a lot about how credit cards can help with managing expenses, rewards, and building credit, but I’m not sure which card would be best for my needs.

Here’s a little more about my situation:

• Spending on Essentials: Electronics, home essentials, and setting up the apartment.
  • Earnings: ₹1,05,000 monthly gross income before tax.
  • Bank: HDFC Bank salary account.
  • Newbie in the Credit Card Space: This will be my first credit card, so I want to make sure I pick something that balances rewards with affordability, without overwhelming me with too many features or fees.
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, if you have tips on:

1. What type of card to go for (cashback, rewards, etc.).
  2. What benefits or offers I should be on the lookout for, especially for electronics and essentials.
  3. How to use a credit card smartly to avoid pitfalls and maximize benefits.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Skylar

KF Master
Hi Everyone,

I'm excited to share that I recently landed my first job and opened a salary account with HDFC Bank. My gross monthly income before tax is around ₹1,05,000. Since I'm a beginner in the world of credit cards, I could really use some advice from those of you with experience in this area!

Currently, I'm staying with my relatives, but I'll soon be moving into a rented apartment with my mom. I expect to spend a fair amount on electronics, furniture, and other essentials. I’ve been hearing a lot about how credit cards can help with managing expenses, rewards, and building credit, but I’m not sure which card would be best for my needs.

Here’s a little more about my situation:

• Spending on Essentials: Electronics, home essentials, and setting up the apartment.
  • Earnings: ₹1,05,000 monthly gross income before tax.
  • Bank: HDFC Bank salary account.
  • Newbie in the Credit Card Space: This will be my first credit card, so I want to make sure I pick something that balances rewards with affordability, without overwhelming me with too many features or fees.
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, if you have tips on:

1. What type of card to go for (cashback, rewards, etc.).
  2. What benefits or offers I should be on the lookout for, especially for electronics and essentials.
  3. How to use a credit card smartly to avoid pitfalls and maximize benefits.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!
Start applying for cards once you get 3 months' salary slips.
- SBI cashback card for online 5%
- Axis Airtel/ACE for utility
- Any Rupay card for UPI payments General recommendation TATA Neu but apply for cobranded card after you get core card in HDFC
- If you are interested in reward points for future travel then DCB or Regalia GOLD to get started with HDFC

Yash Koyande

KF Rookie
Thanks,
But my only concern is I will be moving out in 2 months. FYI I completed my internship with lesser pay for 6 months at the same firm. So what will be the best course of action for me?
For the first month I am looking at big purchases like AC's, refrigerator some furniture etc.

zacobite

KF Mentor
Thanks,
But my only concern is I will be moving out in 2 months. FYI I completed my internship with lesser pay for 6 months at the same firm. So what will be the best course of action for me?
For the first month I am looking at big purchases like AC's, refrigerator some furniture etc.
start with 1 card only.. use for 1 yr.. dont fall to any other craze if applying for many cards.. sbi cb / amz icici are good starter cards

Yash Koyande

KF Rookie
I do have funds saved up for my big purchases, I am looking for cards that will maximise my benefit for this specific use case of large electronic purchases. Apologise for rookie questions, I am very new to all this.

zacobite

KF Mentor
I do have funds saved up for my big purchases, I am looking for cards that will maximise my benefit for this specific use case of large electronic purchases. Apologise for rookie questions, I am very new to all this.
amz icici pay card to use Amazon.. We still don't know which cards are going to get discounts during festival sales... most probably sbi / hdfc..