Card for International Travel

MisterK

KF Rookie
Planning my 1st international trip to Vietnam. I already have an SBI international Debit card but the charges for transactions are on the higher side. Has anyone successfully used any credit/debit card in vietnam? If yes, which one will be the optimum

Yes, many people use credit and debit cards in Vietnam successfully! However, finding the optimum one for you depends on your specific needs and spending habits. Here's a breakdown to help you choose:
Debit Cards:
  • SBI International Debit Card: While the charges might be higher, it's still a readily available option. Check if they offer any specific Vietnam-related deals or partnerships.
  • Wise Multi-Currency Account: Provides a debit card with low foreign transaction fees (1.7%) and competitive exchange rates. Great for frequent or extended travel.
  • Charles Schwab Debit Card: No foreign transaction fees and ATM withdrawal fees reimbursed globally. Ideal for frequent travelers who value accessibility.
Credit Cards:
  • HSBC Premier Mastercard: No foreign transaction fees and airport lounge access. Good for luxury travelers or frequent flyers.
  • ICICI Sapphire International: No foreign transaction fees and reward points on international spending. Suitable for moderate spenders who want some cashback.
  • Axis Bank Travel Classic: No foreign transaction fees and insurance coverage for travel inconveniences. Budget-friendly option with basic benefits.
Other Considerations:
  • Network: Ensure your card has a Visa or Mastercard logo for wider acceptance in Vietnam.
  • ATM fees: Be aware of local ATM fees charged by Vietnamese banks, sometimes regardless of your card issuer.
  • Cash usage: While card acceptance is growing, smaller vendors and rural areas might still prefer cash.
  • Travel insurance: Consider travel insurance with trip cancellation and medical emergency coverage for added peace of mind.
Here are some additional tips:
  • Inform your bank about your Vietnam travel plans to avoid fraud alerts.
  • Compare specific fees and benefits of different cards based on your estimated spending in Vietnam.
  • Carry some Vietnamese Dong for emergencies or small purchases.
  • Don't over-rely on a single card and bring a backup payment method.
Ultimately, the best card for Vietnam depends on your individual needs and spending habits. Research the options mentioned above, consider your priorities, and choose the one that offers the best combination of features and affordability for your trip!
I hope this information helps you plan your first international trip to Vietnam! Safe travels!

Nero

KF Rookie
I have travelled most of the SEA area with niyo global sbm credit card
It offers 0% forex markup and works flawlessly

Tachyons

KF Rookie
Holy christ. This place is a heaven. If i ever want a list of people who are smart, have consistent and huge cash flow per month, No knowledge about money, destined to learn the lesson of debt in this life time. This place is heaven.

maplepro573

KF Rookie
Hello I'm not able to find any reference for the Axis Bank Travel Classic: credit card
Could you please provide details on this? Thanks

kakarot96

KF Rookie
Hi, can someone please suggest any card which offers free international flight tickets like Axis Vistara offers domestic tickets on the basis of spend?
I'm not a frequent flyer. Let's say if I want to travel international once a year, which card would be best for me?