DEFAULT WITH ADD ON CARD: Does the CIBIL of add on card holder get affected

One of my family member had an HDFC MoneyBack credit card and got an add on card in my name. A few months later he maxed the limit and defaulted the payments and never paid back. Now, when I found this out I rushed to close/return the add-on card in my name because I was afraid that my CIBIL will get affected.

Question 1: Will my CIBIL get affected in this case?

Second, I already have a premium credit card and I am had a pre-approved HDFC Regalia CC showing in my account, when I applied it got rejected within a few hours.

Question 2: Did my Credit Card get rejected because of my family members deault? Or because I had applied for another bank's credit card 25 - 30 days ago.

Question 3: How long should I wait before I re-apply for the HDFC CC?

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Question 1: Will my CIBIL get affected in this case?
Answer: Yes, your CIBIL will get affected because you are the primary card holder in this case and the risk assessment has been done your credit profile

Question 2: Did my Credit Card get rejected because of my family members deault? Or because I had applied for another bank's credit card 25 - 30 days ago.
Answer: Could be a mix of both factors. It will also depend on the credit limit on your existing credit cards vis a vis your salary.

Question 3: How long should I wait before I re-apply for the HDFC CC?
Answer: You should first make sure that you've cleared your past dues. Once you've done that your credit score will start climbing up, it could take anywhere from 6-12 months. Once your CIBIL is >750, you can go ahead and apply for a new CC

Thank you @ShavirB , for your insights and taking out time.
I have to clear some incorrect presumptions here:
1. I was not the primary card holder, but an add-on card holder. And my relative defaulted on his card.
2. I have a pristine credit history, with all types of credits and a score of 800+
3. I have never missed any payment in my life, of any loan or credit card. And I have had multiple credit cards for quite a few years.

If you could think through again with the above points in mind. I would be extremely grateful.
I look forward to your guidance.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Thank you @ShavirB , for your insights and taking out time.
I have to clear some incorrect presumptions here:
1. I was not the primary card holder, but an add-on card holder. And my relative defaulted on his card.
2. I have a pristine credit history, with all types of credits and a score of 800+
3. I have never missed any payment in my life, of any loan or credit card. And I have had multiple credit cards for quite a few years.

If you could think through again with the above points in mind. I would be extremely grateful.
I look forward to your guidance.
Is your CIBIL still 800+?

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Then it doesn't seem like the default has had an impact on your credit score. The reason for rejection seems to be applying for another bank's credit card 25 - 30 days ago. You can try again after a month.

mkate

KF Ace
Can add-on cardholders log in to the card settings application on their phones separately, or does the primary cardholder have to manage them?