Frustrated with Low Amex Credit Limit: Strategies to Get a Manual Increase (and My Experience)

Ganesh_Shinde

KF Expert

Frustrated with Low Amex Credit Limit: Strategies to Get a Manual Increase (and My Experience)​

Hey everyone,
I've been using an Amex card for the past 4 months, but the credit limit is way lower than what I have with other cards. I understand Amex might be more cautious with new cardholders, but I went through their document verification process and still haven't gotten a limit increase.
Anyone else been in this boat? Did you manage to get a manual credit limit increase with Amex?
Here's what I've done so far:
  • Submitted Documents for Review: Amex requested documents to verify my income and creditworthiness. I provided everything promptly, hoping for a bump in my limit.
  • Researching Online Strategies: I've been scouring forums and articles to see what others have done successfully. Some common suggestions include:
    • Highlighting Responsible Use: Demonstrating on-time payments and keeping a low utilization ratio (amount owed divided by credit limit) shows Amex you're a responsible borrower.
    • Contacting Amex Customer Service: A friendly conversation explaining your situation and potential future spending plans might nudge them towards a manual increase.
    • Waiting for Automatic Review: Sometimes, Amex might automatically review your creditworthiness after a certain period (6 months is often mentioned).
My Experience (so far negative):
Unfortunately, despite submitting documents and keeping my utilization low, Amex hasn't budged on the credit limit. I'm still considering calling customer service to see if a human touch can help.
What I'm Hoping to Learn:
  • Has anyone had success with a manual credit limit increase on an Amex card?
  • What specific tactics worked for you (e.g., income verification method, what you said to customer service)?
  • Were there any red flags in your application that might have lowered your initial limit?
Maybe together, we can crack the code on getting Amex to loosen the purse strings!

Ganesh_Shinde

KF Expert
When I compare my American Express (Amex) card with my other Indian credit cards, I find that the Amex card offers significantly better reward points. Amex has a unique referral program through which I have been able to earn approximately 100,000 reward points. This is a benefit that no other card in the current market offers.

Although there are a few challenges associated with being an Amex customer, I continue to prefer the Amex card over others. The superior reward points and the benefits of the referral program make it a highly attractive option for me.

Skylar

KF Master
When I compare my American Express (Amex) card with my other Indian credit cards, I find that the Amex card offers significantly better reward points. Amex has a unique referral program through which I have been able to earn approximately 100,000 reward points. This is a benefit that no other card in the current market offers.

Although there are a few challenges associated with being an Amex customer, I continue to prefer the Amex card over others. The superior reward points and the benefits of the referral program make it a highly attractive option for me.
Can you elaborate how much return on spend% you are getting?
and What is 100,000 rewards conversation in to real money value or airmiles value?

Ganesh_Shinde

KF Expert
The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card doesn't offer reward points based on merchant categories. You earn a flat 1 Membership Rewards point for every ₹50 spent on the card. However, there are occasional bonus offers that can increase your points earned on specific categories. You can check the American Express website or app for details on current bonus offers.

The value of your 100,000 Amex Membership Rewards points if I convert into card cover charges it will go around 26000.

Skylar

KF Master
The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card doesn't offer reward points based on merchant categories. You earn a flat 1 Membership Rewards point for every ₹50 spent on the card. However, there are occasional bonus offers that can increase your points earned on specific categories. You can check the American Express website or app for details on current bonus offers.

The value of your 100,000 Amex Membership Rewards points if I convert into card cover charges it will go around 26000.
1 MR-P = ?

And on how many referrals do you get those 100,000 rewards points?

Skylar

KF Master
1lac rewards points = 26k
Which means each point 0.26 😂

for every 50/- you getting 0.26 which makes it 0.53% :unsure:

On spending Rs. 4 Lacs in a year, earn 25,000 Membership Rewards points redeemable for Flipkart

So, I have to spend 4lac to get 1.5% extra rewards. on top of that 0.53% 😂

OneCard gives a better reward rate than this. 14% to 20% on offline

Skylar

KF Master
One more thing referrals, HDFC tata neu you can earn up to 2lac neu coins per month with their referral program 500 for each referral.

zacobite

KF Mentor

Frustrated with Low Amex Credit Limit: Strategies to Get a Manual Increase (and My Experience)​

Hey everyone,
I've been using an Amex card for the past 4 months, but the credit limit is way lower than what I have with other cards. I understand Amex might be more cautious with new cardholders, but I went through their document verification process and still haven't gotten a limit increase.
Anyone else been in this boat? Did you manage to get a manual credit limit increase with Amex?
Here's what I've done so far:
  • Submitted Documents for Review: Amex requested documents to verify my income and creditworthiness. I provided everything promptly, hoping for a bump in my limit.
  • Researching Online Strategies: I've been scouring forums and articles to see what others have done successfully. Some common suggestions include:
    • Highlighting Responsible Use: Demonstrating on-time payments and keeping a low utilization ratio (amount owed divided by credit limit) shows Amex you're a responsible borrower.
    • Contacting Amex Customer Service: A friendly conversation explaining your situation and potential future spending plans might nudge them towards a manual increase.
    • Waiting for Automatic Review: Sometimes, Amex might automatically review your creditworthiness after a certain period (6 months is often mentioned).
My Experience (so far negative):
Unfortunately, despite submitting documents and keeping my utilization low, Amex hasn't budged on the credit limit. I'm still considering calling customer service to see if a human touch can help.
What I'm Hoping to Learn:
  • Has anyone had success with a manual credit limit increase on an Amex card?
  • What specific tactics worked for you (e.g., income verification method, what you said to customer service)?
  • Were there any red flags in your application that might have lowered your initial limit?
Maybe together, we can crack the code on getting Amex to loosen the purse strings!
amex is open to review cc limit every 6 months.. dont apply.. wait 6 months, use responsibly, pay on time.. then call for increase.. happens on phone.... then same process 6 M later...