How to Block and Close your SBI Credit Card ?

HOW TO BLOCK YOUR CREDIT CARD:-

Block SBI Credit Card via Customer Care: You can call on any one of the below given numbers to block your credit card.
Toll Free Number: 1800 180 1290 | 1860 500 1290 | 1860 180 1290
(STD Code) 39 02 02 02

Block SBI Credit Card via Net Banking: To block your SBI Card via Netbanking, follow the below given steps:
  • Visit SBI Card website
  • Go to the “Services” Tab
  • Click on Block Lost/Stolen Card
Block SBI Credit Card via SMS: To block your SBI Card via an SMS, you should send it in the format given below.

BLOCK XXXX to 5676791
(Here, XXXX are the last 4 digits of your SBI Card. Also, ensure sending the message from your registered mobile number.)

HOW TO CLOSE YOUR CREDIT CARD:-

Via SBI Card Customer Care:
To cancel an SBI credit card, you can call on the following helpline numbers:
Toll Free Number: 1800 180 1290 | 1860 500 1290 | 1860 180 1290
(STD Code) 39 02 02 02

Via a Written Request: You can also cancel the credit card by sending a letter to the below-given address. Mention cardholder’s name, Date of Birth, and card number in the letter. Never write your card’s CVV or PIN in the letter. The address is:

SBI Card,
PO-Bag 28, GPO,
New Delhi- 110001

via your nearest SBI bank branch -
Go and talk to the staff or the manager of the bank , and they might also initialise the process to block and cancel for you

Additional informations:-

RBI'S LATEST GUIDLINES REGARDING CLOSING OF CARDS (valid for every card)
  • Card issuers should provide multiple channels to send a closure request including internet banking, mobile banking, helpline, IVR, dedicated email address and mobile app.
  • Credit card closure requests should be honored within 7 working days, provided all dues are paid by the cardholder.
  • Failure to do so will result in a penalty of Rs. 500 per day of delay until the card account is closed.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHILE CLOSING/BLOCKING YOUR CARD (valid for every card)
  • Before closing your credit card, make sure to pay off the entire outstanding balance. Otherwise, you will be charged interest and late fees.
  • Be sure to cut your credit card diagonally into two pieces before returning it.

Hi,
Although Anurag has explained it in detailed but I wish to add a quick resolution which might help you without any hassle.Your card will not be closed directly, first you will get a call from an executive then you will be asked for reason. Tell them why you wish to close then it will be done without any further interventions.

Secondly you can choose this option to make this LTF ( probably you can use this card )

In SBI card app you have an option to close the credit card. Click on that and choose the reason.
then choose the reason as Annual fees issue. You will get a call, tell them you can't pay annual fees and then they will most probably waive it off once it's deducted. So ideally your card will be free for the year and you can continue using the card.

Hi,
Although Anurag has explained it in detailed but I wish to add a quick resolution which might help you without any hassle.Your card will not be closed directly, first you will get a call from an executive then you will be asked for reason. Tell them why you wish to close then it will be done without any further interventions.

Secondly you can choose this option to make this LTF ( probably you can use this card )

In SBI card app you have an option to close the credit card. Click on that and choose the reason.
then choose the reason as Annual fees issue. You will get a call, tell them you can't pay annual fees and then they will most probably waive it off once it's deducted. So ideally your card will be free for the year and you can continue using the card.
that's a great suggestion ,

zack54

KF Mentor
Hi,

Agree with Priyankjn51.

I am using three credit cards of SBI. I did the same thing regarding the closing of one of my sbi card. I simply call the customer care and asked to close my card. They transferred my card to the senior executive and they offered me lifetime free for the card. I chose that option and accordingly two cards among three converted to lifetime free.

can someone share how to enhance credit limit of sbi?
Thanks

Agree with Priyankjn51.

I am using three credit cards of SBI. I did the same thing regarding the closing of one of my sbi card. I simply call the customer care and asked to close my card. They transferred my card to the senior executive and they offered me lifetime free for the card. I chose that option and accordingly two cards among three converted to lifetime free.

can someone share how to enhance credit limit of sbi?
Thanks
Hi @zack54

Credit limit increase - So SBI have an system to increase credit limit in which it have to verify your income documents. Normally they have their own algos but if you write them so they provide you a link of adhoc credit limit increase where you can provide your income documents and then they will be assessed. I personally used this and this will work if you have eligibility as per your documents.

Last edited by a moderator: