How to choose my first credit card?

shubham_jaiz

KF Rookie
I am seeking to get my 1st credit card.

1)I want to know if the first credit card is having a good limit. Will it effect the limits for other credit cards as well ?
2) Should I prefer a credit card from the bank where i already have a bank account and a large amount from a long time?

Or it doesn't matter which one do i choose 1st the limit would remain same.

hitirfan

KF Mentor

1)I want to know if the first credit card is having a good limit. Will it effect the limits for other credit cards as well ?
2) Should I prefer a credit card from the bank where i already have a bank account and a large amount from a long time?

In which bank is your account?
Occupation? Any credit history?

shubham_jaiz

KF Rookie
I have my salaried account in ICICI Bank and my personal bank account in SBI
Salaried in IT sector.
No credit history.

I am planning to take SBI cashback credit card and Axis airtel credit card.
But i want to know about the above questions so that i could increase my credit limit by taking amazon pay icici credit card.

Raj2708

KF Expert
Salaried in IT sector.
No credit history.

But i want to know about the above questions so that i could increase my credit limit by taking amazon pay icici credit card.
You can connect with your RM ICICI for LTF ICICI card.
First Apply Airtel Axis card on basis of your salary slip.
I suggest you to wait 6month after getting any card Axis / icici. Then apply to SBI for high approval chances.
Your answer
1. Limit would depend on bank to bank as you don't have cibil score. You will get Approx 50k for sure if you apply for those bank where you have account. If your maintaining higher balance then ur credit limit will be up.

hitirfan

KF Mentor
Salaried in IT sector.
No credit history.

Limit usually depends on income, payment history amd how much bank can offer you.

My Credit Limit of HDFC CC is 1 Lakh,
27K in Axis Neo
25K in BOB Cards..

Even if you get low limit at first, after use of 3-6 months, you can apply for Limit Enhancement, if your income is good and payment history is well.

SukhpalHundal

KF Rookie
@shubham_jaiz - Your income will influence the credit limit on first credit card. When you apply for a credit card, the issuer will requests income information as part of the application process. This information helps the issuer in determining your ability to repay credit card debt and may impact the credit limit you are authorised for.
Your worth and spend is calculated irrespective of bank accounts and that is how credit card limit is evaluated.

A higher income and great payment history would lead to a higher credit limit because it shows that you have the financial means to settle credit card debt. Furthermore, if you have no or little credit history, the issuer may begin with a lesser credit limit until you develop a track record of prudent credit card usage.

So one advice from my side. Many banks offer you LTF cards and stuff. Please do not fall for these. From my personal experience my first credit card is a pretty bad one. I had taken it just because they had got it to me pre-approved and were offering life time free. Honestly in my opinion check on your spend patterns and sectors where in you spend the most and buy cards accordingly. Just don't fall for these traps of LTF cards which banks offer. Not all are bad yeah but better be safe while choosing the first card. First card stays for a long time due to credit history and stuff so ensure to select a good one.

And on your questions:
2. Not necessarily. Prefer the card which suites your needs the most and not the banks which you have account in