It is good idea to invest in SGB(Sovereign Gold bonds)?

ParameterSGBPhysical GoldGold ETF
Storage risklowHighLow
LiquidityMediumHighHigh
Interest2.5%NILNIL
TAX savingYesNoNO
Holding PeriodYES ( 8 yrs ) , can sell before that but no tax saving thenNANA

StorageDematSelfdemat

17ysaurabh

KF Mentor
Yes, it is. Multiple benefits:
  • 2.5% interest paid twice in a year
  • Lock-in of 5 years but if kept for 8 years, it's tax free.
  • Risk-free
Besides, SGB investments have returned an average of 13.7% over the last 8 years which excludes the 2.5% annual interest.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
There are many advantages of investing in SGB (over Physical Gold) like extra interest, Tax benefits, etc. But there are some disadvantages as well - high lockin, liquidity risk, etc. We had covered this in detail in a YT Video. You can watch it here

***********.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHbz4knzdY&t=15s

Chiragsh06

KF Rookie
Yes it is always advisable to invest in Gold as part of your portfolio diversification and also to minimalize the risk or to balance out your equity risk i.e. Stocks and MFs.
SGB is the best way to invest in Gold. Alternatively you can also try GOLDBEES as an option to invest in GOLD. As a personal choice I keep 5-10% allocation in precious metals for diversification.

Chiragsh06

KF Rookie
It is beneficial to invest in SGB bonds rather in physical gold or GOLD ETF?
Yes, SGB is preferred over physical gold. Below could be the possible ranking in gold instruments.

1.) SGB: Comes with longer security as Gov. backed scheme. Interest advantage. Longer waiting period of 8 years, but can be sold on exchange anytime.
2.) Gold ETF: Fractional investment in gold, buy/sell any time during trading market hours.
3.) Physical Gold: Looks & feels good in hand. Attracts making charges and security charges in bank locker.
4.) Virtual Gold through Apps (i.e. Paytm, gpay, etc): Off not much use, as the difference in buy and sell price is significant.

nikhilchauhan

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is always advisable to invest in Gold as part of your portfolio diversification and also to minimalize the risk or to balance out your equity risk i.e. Stocks and MFs.
SGB is the best way to invest in Gold. Alternatively you can also try GOLDBEES as an option to invest in GOLD. As a personal choice I keep 5-10% allocation in precious metals for diversification.
But do GoldBees really offer returns, it's price is around 50 for such a long time

Chiragsh06

KF Rookie
But do GoldBees really offer returns, it's price is around 50 for such a long time
For me such a long time is a relative concept. You cannot expect a stock like return in GoldBees or in any ETF for that matter. Gold will provide you a cushion when your equity investments are down as per its negative correlation with stock market.
E.g. GoldBees was at around 35 in March 20 and it is now 50 which is a significant jump of approx 40% in last 3 years or so.

Investments in Gold is considered far safer, so slow returns.

Last edited: