JM Value Fund vs JM Flexi Cap Fund

Zombie96

KF Ace
I began my investment journey barely two months ago. I hold both of these funds in my portfolio. The problem is that they overlap by more than 50%. My investment horizon is more than 20 years. I only want to keep one of these funds. Which one should I keep, and why? I will welcome any feedback you may give me. Thank you 🙂

zacobite

KF Mentor
I began my investment journey barely two months ago. I hold both of these funds in my portfolio. The problem is that they overlap by more than 50%. My investment horizon is more than 20 years. I only want to keep one of these funds. Which one should I keep, and why? I will welcome any feedback you may give me. Thank you 🙂
both are not the best funds.. there are better.. do your research.. good flexi cap or multi cap is a good start

Zombie96

KF Ace
Thank you for your reply.

To my credit, I conducted some research before deciding on these funds. Can you run a portfolio analysis for me? I'm asking because I think you're good at it. I sincerely appreciate your assistance!

The funds I am currently invested in are listed here, along with the monthly SIP amount.

1. Kotak equity opportunities fund direct growth -1K
2. UTI Nifty200 momentum 30 Index fund direct growth - 1K
3. Motilal Oswal Midcap fund direct growth - 4K
4. Parag parikh flexi cap fund direct growth - 4K
5. UTI Nifty 50 Index fund direct growth - 4K
6. JM Flexi cap fund direct plan growth - 2K
7. JM Value fund direct plan growth - 3K

Note: I wish to switch my JM Value fund amount to JM Flexi cap fund.

zacobite

KF Mentor

To my credit, I conducted some research before deciding on these funds. Can you run a portfolio analysis for me? I'm asking because I think you're good at it. I sincerely appreciate your assistance!

The funds I am currently invested in are listed here, along with the monthly SIP amount.

Fund recommendation is ideally not done like this.. It needs a proper evaluation.. my first level advice is as below.. 4, 5 are good funds 6&7 are not needed if u do 4 - pick one fund between 4&6 ; 3 is ok... 1,2,6,7 will have high overlaps... pick a good small cap and a good international fund instead.

6&7 are actually highest funds in their sector last 3 yrs... i know.. but avoid.

if u do 6&7 then drop 1&4

Last edited:

I can see your fund allocation style is little disturbed. According, to me instead of doing SIPs in so many funds I will suggest go with 2-3 funds with a good amount equally distributed. As I read your time horizon is good so you can go with Flexi cap Funds, Index Funds and Debt Funds. Reason for saying Flexi cap because their you will get a diversification, index fund will grow with time and debt funds will give you cushion when market will crash or correct. The sum of the whole amount you mentioned above is 19K so divide it equally in 2 or 3 or max to max 4 funds you will achieve a great returns in 20 years.

Zombie96

KF Ace
Thank you for replying.

I made some improvements based on your feedback. Here is an updated list of funds and SIP amounts. I'll appreciate whatever you have to say about these adjustments.

1. Nippon India small cap fund - 2.5K
2. Quant small cap fund - 2.5K
3. Motilal Oswal Midcap fund direct growth - 5K
4. Parag parikh flexi cap fund direct growth - 2K
7. International Fund (TBD) - ??

Note: I kept both 4 and 6 because PP provides exposure to overseas companies, while JM is the category leader, and the overlap between these two funds is only 10%.

I was considering investing in international funds, but I'm not sure how.

zacobite

KF Mentor
Thank you for replying.

I made some improvements based on your feedback. Here is an updated list of funds and SIP amounts. I'll appreciate whatever you have to say about these adjustments.

1. Nippon India small cap fund - 2.5K
2. Quant small cap fund - 2.5K
3. Motilal Oswal Midcap fund direct growth - 5K
4. Parag parikh flexi cap fund direct growth - 2K
7. International Fund (TBD) - ??

Note: I kept both 4 and 6 because PP provides exposure to overseas companies, while JM is the category leader, and the overlap between these two funds is only 10%.

I was considering investing in international funds, but I'm not sure how.
Great!! 1&2 again are similar but i guess u want to do it.

International funds index funds ones are a good start.. Navi, Motilal Oswal, Icici pru have some good funds

Zombie96

KF Ace

Because 1 and 2 use distinct investing strategies, I maintained both of them.

The Indian market is overvalued, as everyone knows, and a 10% correction is on the horizon. The small and midcap segments will experience significant corrections at that point.

I want to know if I still want to invest in one sectoral, one focused, and one momentum fund.

1. Should I not include them in my main portfolio? 2. Should I wait for a market downturn before making any lump sum investments? 3. Should I make no investment at all in them?

zacobite

KF Mentor

Because 1 and 2 use distinct investing strategies, I maintained both of them.

The Indian market is overvalued, as everyone knows, and a 10% correction is on the horizon. The small and midcap segments will experience significant corrections at that point.

I want to know if I still want to invest in one sectoral, one focused, and one momentum fund.

1. Should I not include them in my main portfolio? 2. Should I wait for a market downturn before making any lump sum investments? 3. Should I make no investment at all in them?
you have done too much research.. ur funds after some of the suggestions if implemented are just fine :)"..momentum and sectoral and focused are are gimicks..!!! stick to what you have... get a gd international fund

Zombie96

KF Ace
Lol! Yet you claimed that I had not done enough research. Jokes aside, I did some digging, and the funds that I've chosen are as follows: Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 FOF Fund, Motilal Oswal S&P 500 Index Fund, PGIM India Global Equity Opportunities Fund. Are they any good?

zacobite

KF Mentor
Lol! Yet you claimed that I had not done enough research. Jokes aside, I did some digging, and the funds that I've chosen are as follows: Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 FOF Fund, Motilal Oswal S&P 500 Index Fund, PGIM India Global Equity Opportunities Fund. Are they any good?
all are gd.. PGIM is a little diversified outside USA also, Nasdaq is tech company oriented, s&p is the general index like our senswx

Zombie96

KF Ace
Awesome! 😇 I just checked, Financial allocation is relatively low in Motilal Oswal, my favored mid-cap fund, which is quite the opposite when compared to others. Can you propose a mid-cap fund for long-term SIPs?