MCC(Merchant Category Code) for transactions made on credit card

Dear Members,

I am looking for answers to the following question(s) regards MCC(Merchant Category Code). Anyone aware of it, please do let me know.
  1. How to know the MCC for any transaction done on a credit card?
  2. What is the MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card purchased on Amazon?
  3. What is the MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card purchased on Gyftr?
  4. Is the MCC same across all networks such as VISA/Master Card/AMEX?
Actually I am planning to buy gift cards worth Rs.60,000.00 through my credit cards, hence trying to understand MCC to make maximum benefit of reward points and cashbacks etc
Thank you.

TaxWiser

KF Mentor
Dear Members,

I am looking for answers to the following question(s) regards MCC(Merchant Category Code). Anyone aware of it, please do let me know.
  1. How to know the MCC for any transaction done on a credit card?
  2. What is the MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card purchased on Amazon?
  3. What is the MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card purchased on Gyftr?
  4. Is the MCC same across all networks such as VISA/Master Card/AMEX?
Actually I am planning to buy gift cards worth Rs.60,000.00 through my credit cards, hence trying to understand MCC to make maximum benefit of reward points and cashbacks etc
Thank you.

Here’s what I know about MCCs:
  1. Finding the MCC for a Transaction: You can usually find the MCC on your credit card statement or by contacting your card issuer. They should be able to provide you with the specific MCC for any transaction.
  2. MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card on Amazon: Typically, the MCC for purchasing Amazon Pay Gift Cards on Amazon is 5947, which falls under "Gift, Card, Novelty, and Souvenir Shops."
  3. MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card on Gyftr: This should also be 5947, as Gyftr usually categorizes these purchases similarly.
  4. MCC Consistency Across Networks: Yes, MCCs are standardized across major networks like Visa, MasterCard, and AMEX, so they should be the same.
If you’re planning to buy gift cards worth ₹60,000, knowing the MCC can definitely help you maximize your reward points and cashback. Just make sure to double-check with your card issuer to confirm the MCCs and any specific rewards or cashback policies they have. 🤗

abhimarda

KF Mentor
Here’s what I know about MCCs:
  1. Finding the MCC for a Transaction: You can usually find the MCC on your credit card statement or by contacting your card issuer. They should be able to provide you with the specific MCC for any transaction.
  2. MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card on Amazon: Typically, the MCC for purchasing Amazon Pay Gift Cards on Amazon is 5947, which falls under "Gift, Card, Novelty, and Souvenir Shops."
  3. MCC for Amazon Pay Gift Card on Gyftr: This should also be 5947, as Gyftr usually categorizes these purchases similarly.
  4. MCC Consistency Across Networks: Yes, MCCs are standardized across major networks like Visa, MasterCard, and AMEX, so they should be the same.
If you’re planning to buy gift cards worth ₹60,000, knowing the MCC can definitely help you maximize your reward points and cashback. Just make sure to double-check with your card issuer to confirm the MCCs and any specific rewards or cashback policies they have. 🤗
1. Finding MCC by contacting card issue is a big pain. Not practical as most of the times the guy on telephone will be clueless. You may need to escalate/ mail to know that and it may take quite long.
2. MCC for Amazon pay gift card at Amazon comes as Electronics as they don't really differentiate between transactions. Amazon fresh comes as grocery. I used to buy Amazon gift card if 10k or more every month using SBI Cashback card and I got cashback every single time. It may be noted that SBI Cashback card otherwise does not give cashback on gift,card, souvenirs etc which comes in 5947.
3. On gyftr, most probably the MCC is 5947 for any transaction on its site.
4. MCC are same across the networks however there can be discrepancy amongst them. However, on the same merchant establishment you may have different MCC on different networks ( depends on who has assigned it to them).

Thank you abhimarda, for the answers.
On point 2, when was the last time this was checked?
As I also would like to use SBI Cashback to buy the Amazon Pay egift cards and benefit from the cashback.

abhimarda

KF Mentor
Thank you abhimarda, for the answers.
On point 2, when was the last time this was checked?
As I also would like to use SBI Cashback to buy the Amazon Pay egift cards and benefit from the cashback.
I last purchased from Amazon 3 months back or so as now Amazon is not showing me Credit card option to buy Gift card...same is the case with many others. But Amazon doesn't have multiple MCC codes for payments in any case as I can buy clothes, electronics, toiletries, gold all under one single order. One single order will have one MCC code, it can't be multiple! However, do check if you are getting option to buy Amazon gift card using credit card

I last purchased from Amazon 3 months back or so as now Amazon is not showing me Credit card option to buy Gift card...same is the case with many others. But Amazon doesn't have multiple MCC codes for payments in any case as I can buy clothes, electronics, toiletries, gold all under one single order. One single order will have one MCC code, it can't be multiple! However, do check if you are getting option to buy Amazon gift card using credit card
Yes, I did try a sample buy for Rs.100.00 yesterday using one of my credit cards and it worked.