NRI Bank account best bank

KC9819

KF Rookie
Which is the best bank to open NRE/NRO account? I want online opening from USA and verification from India.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Do you have an existing Savings Account in India? Or you wish to open a New Account from scratch?

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
As per my analysis, these are some of the things you should consider before opening NRE/NRO account
  • Interest Rate on Savings
  • Fees associated with repatriation of funds
  • Bank's Reputation
  • Presence of Branch nearby
  • Extra Services Offered (dedicated desk for NRIs)
  • Ability to open an Account remotely
Basis above factors, these are the 2 Banks I would recommend for your specific needs

1) DBS Bank - Interest Rates are generally better than most of the PSU Banks and they have a dedicated desk for NRE/ NRO Accounts. Their charges are also reasonable

2) Kotak Mahindra Bank - Charges are reasonable but there's a limit on the amount (per day limit) you can send back to India.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Any bank recommendations for seamless opening process, preferably completely digital?
Depends on the country you stay in, but broadly MNC banks (DBS) have much better experience both in terms of onboarding and daily usage

zacobite

KF Mentor
Which is the best bank to open NRE/NRO account? I want online opening from USA and verification from India.
Typically an international bank will have good options Citibank would have been best but now it is axis so avoid.. . HSBC, DBS or SCB can be explored.. They will have good products for NRE/ NRO.. Avoid SBM also