NRI investment in India

Brar22

KF Rookie
Hi everyone
I am living in New Zealand and I want to invest in mutual funds in India but I’m confused like how can i make demat account?

Thanks

Skylar

KF Master
Let’s demystify the process of opening a Demat account in India. As an investor residing in New Zealand, you can still open a Demat account to invest in Indian securities. Here’s how:
  1. Choose a Depository Participant (DP):
    • In India, banks, stockbrokers, and online investment platforms offer Demat services.
    • Select a DP that aligns with your needs and requirements.
  2. Visit the Official DP’s Website:
    • Go to the official website of the chosen DP.
    • Fill out the Demat account opening form available on their website.
    • Assign a nominee to your account during the process.
  3. Submit Required Documents:
    • Keep the following documents ready:
      • Valid identity proof with your photo (such as Aadhaar card, PAN card, voter ID, or driving license).
      • Address proof (proof of residence) like a registered lease agreement, passport, utility bills, etc.
      • A bank passbook or account statement (not older than 3 months).
      • Latest salary slips or Income Tax Return (mandatory for currency and derivatives segment).
  4. Document Verification:
    • Submit the necessary documents to the DP for verification.
    • The DP will verify your details.
  5. Sign the Agreement:
    • Sign the agreement and other important documents provided by the DP.
    • These documents include a contract between you (the investor) and the DP.
  6. Account Activation:
    • Your Demat account will become active within 24 hours if you opt for online KYC.
Benefits of Having a Demat Account:
  • Easy Access: Manage your assets and statements conveniently through online banking.
  • Dematerialization: Convert physical share certificates into electronic form.
  • Dividends & Rewards: Receive dividends and other benefits directly in your Demat account.
  • Liquidity: Easily trade securities, making them more liquid.
  • Loan Against Stocks: Use your Demat holdings as collateral for loans.
Remember, a Demat account is essential for stock market transactions in India. It provides a secure and efficient way to hold and manage your investments. Feel free to explore the Indian stock market and invest wisely! 📈🇮🇳

Brar22

KF Rookie
What I understood so far that I need to find a DP for eg. Zerodha, Upstox etc. As I already have NRO and NRE account with Kotak Mahindra Bank. Then I need submit some forms such as Fatca, Fema and my adhar and PAN card. but the problem is my adhar and pan card are in India. So, how I would notarised that as I need the original one with me to get it done.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
What I understood so far that I need to find a DP for eg. Zerodha, Upstox etc. As I already have NRO and NRE account with Kotak Mahindra Bank. Then I need submit some forms such as Fatca, Fema and my adhar and PAN card. but the problem is my adhar and pan card are in India. So, how I would notarised that as I need the original one with me to get it done.
If your Aadhar is linked to your PAN and your Mobile Number, you can do the KYC verification digitally

zacobite

KF Mentor
Let’s demystify the process of opening a Demat account in India. As an investor residing in New Zealand, you can still open a Demat account to invest in Indian securities. Here’s how:
  1. Choose a Depository Participant (DP):
    • In India, banks, stockbrokers, and online investment platforms offer Demat services.
    • Select a DP that aligns with your needs and requirements.
  2. Visit the Official DP’s Website:
    • Go to the official website of the chosen DP.
    • Fill out the Demat account opening form available on their website.
    • Assign a nominee to your account during the process.
  3. Submit Required Documents:
    • Keep the following documents ready:
      • Valid identity proof with your photo (such as Aadhaar card, PAN card, voter ID, or driving license).
      • Address proof (proof of residence) like a registered lease agreement, passport, utility bills, etc.
      • A bank passbook or account statement (not older than 3 months).
      • Latest salary slips or Income Tax Return (mandatory for currency and derivatives segment).
  4. Document Verification:
    • Submit the necessary documents to the DP for verification.
    • The DP will verify your details.
  5. Sign the Agreement:
    • Sign the agreement and other important documents provided by the DP.
    • These documents include a contract between you (the investor) and the DP.
  6. Account Activation:
    • Your Demat account will become active within 24 hours if you opt for online KYC.
Benefits of Having a Demat Account:
  • Easy Access: Manage your assets and statements conveniently through online banking.
  • Dematerialization: Convert physical share certificates into electronic form.
  • Dividends & Rewards: Receive dividends and other benefits directly in your Demat account.
  • Liquidity: Easily trade securities, making them more liquid.
  • Loan Against Stocks: Use your Demat holdings as collateral for loans.
Remember, a Demat account is essential for stock market transactions in India. It provides a secure and efficient way to hold and manage your investments. Feel free to explore the Indian stock market and invest wisely! 📈🇮🇳
u also started gpt :)