What will be the best instrument/type of mutual fund for an investment horizon of 3-5 years?

I want to invest for 3-4 years through SIP so as to save for my home's downpayment. I am an aggressive type of investor and can take risks, but definitely would not want to make negative returns on my investment. Please suggest to me a type of investment instrument or any type of mutual fund that will be best suited for my use case.

Rawknee

KF Rookie
Go with a diverse mix of index funds including Nifty 50, Flexi Cap and Arbitrage Mutual Funds

I like these two MF the most and they manage well, if you are a bit aggressive then you may check out below two MFs:

Parag Parikh Multicap Direct
Axis Small Cap Direct

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
I want to invest for 3-4 years through SIP so as to save for my home's downpayment. I am an aggressive type of investor and can take risks, but definitely would not want to make negative returns on my investment. Please suggest to me a type of investment instrument or any type of mutual fund that will be best suited for my use case.
For 3-4 years time investing in Mutual Funds could turn out to be too risky. Example : Market was approximately at same level on 20th Dec 2008 and 20th Dec 2013.

As per my analysis you need a min 6-7 years time to get sizeable returns from Equity Mutual Funds. For 3-4 years You could either look at Debt Funds, FDs, P2P Investing (very high risk) or Invoice Discounting

AmritSaroe

KF Ace
For 3-4 years time investing in Mutual Funds could turn out to be too risky. Example : Market was approximately at same level on 20th Dec 2008 and 20th Dec 2013.

As per my analysis you need a min 6-7 years time to get sizeable returns from Equity Mutual Funds. For 3-4 years You could either look at Debt Funds, FDs, P2P Investing (very high risk) or Invoice Discounting
What are debt funds and isn't a fixed deposit a kind of debt fund and also I don't know what is p2p investment and invoice discounting too

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
FD is a kind of Debt Investment (Not a Fund). Debt Funds invest in different Debt Investment (FD, CP, NCD, GSec, etc).

P2P Investment is when you lend your money to individuals and they pay interest for that (there are various platforms which enable this)

Invoice Discounting is when you lend your money to different companies against fixed orders (Again there are various platforms which enable this)