Confusion regarding joint account.

venky

KF Rookie
I got married recently and want to open a joint account with my spouse for managing the household expenses. I know the basic structure of joint accounts, what I want help with is finding a perfect bank which will cater to all or most of the points mentioned -

1. Distribution of mobile interfaces - I want my spouse and I to have equal levels of access to the account though the app, web-based internet banking portal, and if possible UPI payments (as most of our transactions are UPI based). The bare minimum is that both of us should be at least able to access the account through the app and make NEFT/IMPS transactions at the same time.

2. Minimum balance account vs. maximize interest savings - I'm confused between these two options. We have cash which we can park in the joint account if we're getting attractive interest rates above, say, ₹2lakhs. However, we'd want the benefits convert into materialized privileges - free lockers for which fee can be the interest income, better tier debit card (no credit card, sorry), no spam calls for offers, low account maintanence charges etc. If these benefits can't be offered then we'd rather stick to minimum balance accounts and use it with bare minimum account maintenance charges.

3. Quick servicing - I believe the servicing depends mostly on the branch and least on the bank brand. But I cannot ignore the fact that private banks provide a lot of services quickly while I sit at home. I would want to visit the branch only if it's for making an important financial decision like a loan on the joint account or account closure (very surprising that this most basic facility isn't available online for obvious reasons - loss of business). If a bank satisfies the above two conditions but it's a public bank, I'd be happy to become it's customer.

Any suggestions which player fits my bill?

zacobite

KF Mentor
I got married recently and want to open a joint account with my spouse for managing the household expenses. I know the basic structure of joint accounts, what I want help with is finding a perfect bank which will cater to all or most of the points mentioned -

1. Distribution of mobile interfaces - I want my spouse and I to have equal levels of access to the account though the app, web-based internet banking portal, and if possible UPI payments (as most of our transactions are UPI based). The bare minimum is that both of us should be at least able to access the account through the app and make NEFT/IMPS transactions at the same time.

2. Minimum balance account vs. maximize interest savings - I'm confused between these two options. We have cash which we can park in the joint account if we're getting attractive interest rates above, say, ₹2lakhs. However, we'd want the benefits convert into materialized privileges - free lockers for which fee can be the interest income, better tier debit card (no credit card, sorry), no spam calls for offers, low account maintanence charges etc. If these benefits can't be offered then we'd rather stick to minimum balance accounts and use it with bare minimum account maintenance charges.

3. Quick servicing - I believe the servicing depends mostly on the branch and least on the bank brand. But I cannot ignore the fact that private banks provide a lot of services quickly while I sit at home. I would want to visit the branch only if it's for making an important financial decision like a loan on the joint account or account closure (very surprising that this most basic facility isn't available online for obvious reasons - loss of business). If a bank satisfies the above two conditions but it's a public bank, I'd be happy to become it's customer.

icici / idfc / kotak

navneet9827

KF Rookie

Don't attached your bank account with spouse . It has some basic negative feedback back . Online fraud has rapidly expend is area of online transaction. Plz avoid to joint account. I recommend to plz use saperate account

I believe joint account is only useful for offline because only one mobile number can link and you can use upi on one number only and one more drawback is you can only access by one mobile it banking instead of that I would recommend to use only one account for all the expenses and add both contribution in one account and there is a one recommended app from me like splitwise or salt or axio to track all the expenditures on day today basis

naveen garg

KF Rookie

Kotak

priyankap1812

KF Rookie

ICICI , Kotak , HDFC