Q. Health insurance over government hospitals

Rakesh_

KF Rookie
Do we really need to buy health insurance even we government hospitals provide facilities at low price

17ysaurabh

KF Mentor
The government hospitals do provide facilities at a lower price. But it still costs something. Suppose a private hospital is taking 3-4 lakhs for a Kidney stone operation. Then a government hospital would do that in roughly 1 lakh. It is still significant.
Besides, I think we all would prefer not to be worried about hospital bills, what sort of hospital room we are getting or whether we are being treated by the best doctors available in the city or not.
That's why it is advised to buy health insurance.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Do we really need to buy health insurance even we government hospitals provide facilities at low price
In my experience, when a Health emergency knocks on the door the priority is to get the best treatment (Private or Govt Hospitals). Any way the point of Insurance is to buy yourself some PEACE in case of an emergency, which is why I would STRONGLY recommend you to get a Good Health Insurance

Rakesh_

KF Rookie
In my experience, when a Health emergency knocks on the door the priority is to get the best treatment (Private or Govt Hospitals). Any way the point of Insurance is to buy yourself some PEACE in case of an emergency, which is why I would STRONGLY recommend you to get a Good Health Insuran

The government hospitals do provide facilities at a lower price. But it still costs something. Suppose a private hospital is taking 3-4 lakhs for a Kidney stone operation. Then a government hospital would do that in roughly 1 lakh. It is still significant.
Besides, I think we all would prefer not to be worried about hospital bills, what sort of hospital room we are getting or whether we are being treated by the best doctors available in the city or not.
That's why it is advised to buy health insuransipl

Suppose I have of health insurance of X company (private)( and currently don't have any money) is there is possibility that that hospital doesn't do the treatment for X company insurance
Firstly Thank you!
I have a Q. that
Suppose I have of health insurance of X company (private)( and currently don't have any money) is there is possibility that that hospital doesn't do the treatment for X company insurance

Rakesh_

KF Rookie
In my experience, when a Health emergency knocks on the door the priority is to get the best treatment (Private or Govt Hospitals). Any way the point of Insurance is to buy yourself some PEACE in case of an emergency, which is why I would STRONGLY recommend you to get a Good Health Insurance
Firstly Thank you!
Also I have a Q.that

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Firstly Thank you!
Also I have a Q.that
I am assuming you have a valid corporate health insurance. So here is why I would still recommend you to get a separate health insurance

- Corporate Health Insurance will stop when you leave/ change your job
- Most Corporate Health Insurances come with a co-pay (10 - 20%), which will just be a burden on your pocket.
- If you plan to take an early retirement (say by 45- 50) and you haven't taken an Individual Health Insurance till that time. It'll be very tough for you to get an Insurance post retirement

17ysaurabh

KF Mentor
Firstly Thank you!
Also I have a Q.that
There is a list of Network Hospitals each Health insurance clearly states whether purchased directly or given by the company. If you have been treated in a non-network hospital, then you'll have to pay for the treatment first and then you can submit your bills to the Health insurance team and get a reimbursement.
So, if you want to be treated without paying hospital bills or charges, then you should check for the network hospitals.
Plus you have to check for the copay clause. If it is there in the health insurance, then you will have to pay a specific portion of the medical expenses.

I hope it answers your question.

ShavirB

Founder
Staff member
Would want to share a personal anecdote which happened few days back to someone I know.

Person got severe case of food poisoning, he went to the hospital and was asked to be admitted. When we went to the hospital desk to file an insurance claim, the insurance company rejected saying admission in hospital was not required for this. We fought back saying that this is a network hospital which has been approved by the Insurance Company, and they agreed to the rationale and approved our claim.

The point of this story is that you should check the network hospitals in whichever insurance you are opting for, opt for the one which has more network hospitals in the city/ state you stay in. Getting Insurance Approved with the Network hospital becomes relatively much easier.