Usefulness of Diners variant Credit Card

SayonB@97

KF Ace
I stay in Kolkata and have only one credit card - an LTF HDFC Millenia Card. It has 2 domestic lounge accesses per quarter for all variants of the card.
They provided me with the Diners Club variant of it. The only advantage of it, that I found, is that while Mastercard or Visa variant are acceptable in only 12 Lounges in the top 5-6 Tier-1 cities of India, Diners variant is accepted in 35 lounges across many cities of India (both Tier-1 & Tier-2).
I travel often but not that I am always flying. I mostly travel by train in India; sometimes by flight.
Now, on the other hand, the issue I am facing with Diners variant is its acceptability in offline market or even online vendors. Only HDFC & Citi Bank POS machines accept my card and all others decline this. Even when I am trying to pay online, only the reputed websites are accepting this Diners card. Mostly all ask for a 16 digit card number (mine is 14 digit) and others only accept Mastercard or Visa. So this is becoming a problem for me.
From customer care, I got to know that I can switch to VISA/Mastercard free of cost. So I am thinking of switching to VISA.
I wanted to know if there is any other benefit of having a Diner's card apart from that wide range of lounge access? And what do you think about me switching to VISA?
Or is there any other solution to this problem?

I was thinking that if I had another card of Mastercard/Visa, I would keep this one. But this is my only credit card. And I have recently got this card in mid August 2023. It would not be wise to apply for another card so soon I guess (also my credit score is on the lower side ~ 680).

I was just thinking of this after getting my DCB upgraded from Regalia. I have a feeling it's a useless card since most places online and offline don't accept it. Thankfully I have 10 other credit cards that are visa/master.
If you're DCB is LTF keep it but get another visa/MC CC. If it's not free then you might not even be able to spend 5lacs to avoid 10k fees on renewal. I'm having 2nd thoughts about downgrading!

SayonB@97

KF Ace
I was just thinking of this after getting my DCB upgraded from Regalia. I have a feeling it's a useless card since most places online and offline don't accept it. Thankfully I have 10 other credit cards that are visa/master.
If you're DCB is LTF keep it but get another visa/MC CC. If it's not free then you might not even be able to spend 5lacs to avoid 10k fees on renewal. I'm having 2nd thoughts about downgrading!
By DCB if you mean Diners Club Black CC, then I would like to point out that I don't have DCB. I have an LTF HDFC Millenia Card of Diners Variant.

Hema Kulkarni

KF Mentor
I stay in Kolkata and have only one credit card - an LTF HDFC Millenia Card. It has 2 domestic lounge accesses per quarter for all variants of the card.
They provided me with the Diners Club variant of it. The only advantage of it, that I found, is that while Mastercard or Visa variant are acceptable in only 12 Lounges in the top 5-6 Tier-1 cities of India, Diners variant is accepted in 35 lounges across many cities of India (both Tier-1 & Tier-2).
I travel often but not that I am always flying. I mostly travel by train in India; sometimes by flight.
Now, on the other hand, the issue I am facing with Diners variant is its acceptability in offline market or even online vendors. Only HDFC & Citi Bank POS machines accept my card and all others decline this. Even when I am trying to pay online, only the reputed websites are accepting this Diners card. Mostly all ask for a 16 digit card number (mine is 14 digit) and others only accept Mastercard or Visa. So this is becoming a problem for me.
From customer care, I got to know that I can switch to VISA/Mastercard free of cost. So I am thinking of switching to VISA.
I wanted to know if there is any other benefit of having a Diner's card apart from that wide range of lounge access? And what do you think about me switching to VISA?
Or is there any other solution to this problem?

I was thinking that if I had another card of Mastercard/Visa, I would keep this one. But this is my only credit card. And I have recently got this card in mid August 2023. It would not be wise to apply for another card so soon I guess (also my credit score is on the lower side ~ 680).
Hi, you're absolutely right in your assessment. Diners variant has more hassles than utility. Diners Card generally offer better buyers protection (theft Insurance, Card loss protection, etc.) v/s a Visa or a Mastercard. If you're not getting such benefits after converting to Diners Variant, I would advise converting back to Visa/ Mastercard